Tucson Immigration Lawyers Helping Clients Obtain Visas

The Benavidez Law Group, P.C. is dedicated to helping immigrants live and work legally in the United States. Often, this comes through successfully filing and completing the visa application process. Please learn more about eligibility for U.S. visas below.

Types of United States Visas

There are two types of visas: immigrant and nonimmigrant visas. An immigrant visa, or “green card,” allows an individual to stay in the United States permanently, while a nonimmigrant visa is issued for a defined timeframe, generally short duration, and often for a specific purpose, such as traveling, education or work. However, not all visas allow you to be employed in the United States. Some of the most commonly used visas that allow for employment include:

  • H-1B Visas – H-1B Visas are issued to people in specialty occupations, including certain healthcare professionals, accounting professionals, computer analysts, programmers, database administrators, engineers, scientists and licensed professionals, generally for a period of three years, which may be extended to six years.
  • H-2B Visas – Employers may file H-2B Visas for their semi-skilled or skilled employees to meet seasonal, intermittent, one-time occurrence or peak time needs. Unlike the H-1B Visa, the employer may file a blanket petition for their workers.
  • L-1 Visas – U.S. businesses and organizations with operating facilities in foreign countries may apply to have a manager, executive or other worker with specialized knowledge transferred to a U.S. facility through the L1 intra-company transfer visa process.
  • O-1 Visas – The O-1 visa is reserved for foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in athletics, business, education, sciences, or the arts. To qualify under the O-1 category, an applicant must be recognized nationally or internationally for his or her achievements.

In addition to these, there are many other types of nonimmigrant visas, such as E Visas for treaty investors and traders, F Visas for international students and dependents, K Visas for fiancés and spouses of U.S. citizens, R Visas for religious workers, and S Visas for victims of trafficking. The Benavidez Law Group, P.C. can help you apply for the right visa in your situation.

Visas for Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens

There are two ways for an American citizen to bring over a foreign wife or husband to live in the United States. One involves securing an immigrant visa (green card), and the other involves securing a nonimmigrant K-3 Visa. To receive a green card, the U.S. citizen must file an I-130 petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Once this petition gets approved, the foreign spouse goes to a U.S. consulate in his or her country for visa processing.

On the other hand, a K-3 Visa is a temporary visiting visa that allows the husband or wife of a U.S. citizen to come to the United States, even while a case for permanent residency is pending. With a K-3 Visa, the spouse can work while waiting for the verdict on his or her permanent residency status.

Contact Us for Help with Visas in Tucson

If you need help applying for a visa in Arizona or Mexico, please contact the Benavidez Law Group, P.C. to schedule a consultation. You can call us toll-free from Mexico by dialing 520-314-8954. Hablamos español.